Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Oh hi there

Hey there.

Did you miss me?

It's been a busy couple of weeks. An idyllic week at the lake, full of food, wine, more food, and lazy lounging galore, was followed by work. Yep, that's right folks, you heard it first. I have a job and I'm going to work! Three days nights a week I can found burning the midnight oil taking care of the teeny tinies.

How is it you might be wondering? Well, it's work, which is a four letter word if you know what I mean. While I was whinging last post about how much I wanted to work, the reality is no one actually wants to like go to work. We just want the paycheck, unfortunately the two seem to be inexplicably tied together. Unless you've one the lottery. In which case, Hi, my name is Clarissa. Wanna be friends?

This meal here is a little something I whipped up before work one afternoon. It's a celebrate of summer and the joys of foodie heaven that come with summer. Did you like? Joys of foodie heaven. I made that one up myself!

Anyways...it's meal is the perfect summer salad. It's light. It's a breeze to make. It doesn't require turning on your stove or oven, just the grill, and even then only for like 10 minutes. The salad is full of good for you stuff like kale and zucchini. Maybe you can use some zucchini from your garden. You could throw in a few tomatoes, also from your garden, if you felt so inclined. I can't do that yet, because my tomato plants are only starting to produce. I was a teeny tiny bit behind the eight ball with getting my garden started. Stupid being in South America! Oh the injustice of it all!


Grilled Steak and Ribbon Zucchini Salad
Serves 4

1lb Flank, skirt, or london broil steak
1 Zucchini, medium sized
1/2 cup Almonds, slivered
2 oz Asiago (or whatever cheese you like) shaved
4 cups Kale
1/3 cup Soy sauce
2 tbsp Honey
3 tsp Thyme, fresh
2 tbsp Basil, minced
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
2/3 cup Olive oil
1 Lemon, juiced

1. Place the steak in the a resealable plastic bag. Add the soy sauce, honey, 2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, 2 cloves of minced garlic. Mix the marinade all around, covering the steak. Allow to marinade for at least 2 hours or over night.
2. Slice the zucchini really really impossibly thin. You want to end up with ribbons of semi-transparent zucchini. I used my mandolin for this, but you could also use a very sharp knife.
3. Make the dressing. Add the olive oil, lemon juice, basil, and remaining thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic. Adjust seasonings as desired.
3. Turn the grill on medium. Cook the steak for 10 minutes or so, depending on how thick your cut of meat is and how rare you like it. Ten minutes will get you a medium steak. Once the steak has finished cooking remove from the grill and cover with aluminum.
4. While the steak is resting, place the zucchini ribbons on the grill. The strips are so thin they don't need to be flipped. Just cook till there are pretty grill marks on the one side and remove.
5. To assemble your salad: Place the kale in a large bowl. Top with slivered almonds and shaved cheese. Top with zucchini and sliced steak. Drizzle with the dressing.
6. Enjoy!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment