Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pumpkin Dip

I know what your thinking...Clarissa it's August, not October. Girl, did you get your dates confused again? Yep, yep I did. And I'm not ashamed. I like it!


I had this dip at a fabulous little sidewalk Turkish cafe last week in hipster country, also known as Williamsburg, NYC. Have you been there? Then you know what I'm talking about. Oh, have you been to The Meatball Shop? Ohh myyy gawwwddddd. Sigh. Swoon. Siggggh. Not only was the food amazing, but they have a sign outside the shop that says "We Make Balls". The perpetual 13 y.o. in me giggled...a lot. What! So did you!

I digress from the pumpkin dip. It was just there on the menu, innocuous, silently staring at me. I mean, what's so great about pumpkin? But man oh man. It hit all the right notes. Garlic, ginger, and some other random stuff that I couldn't name. Mostly, because I was too busy stuffing my face with it, but whatever! Details people!

I've been on this huge Middle Eastern food kick and I hope you are jumping on this band wagon with me guys! I've got more recipes coming this week, so watch out! Yep, that's right kids. After months weeks of nada, nothing, zil zip, I'm posting again. Do you ever feel at odds with yourself in summer? I just want to buy buy buyyyy all the pretty pretty produce, which, once home sits in my fridge; because hello? it's 90 million billion gagillion degrees out. I'm not cooking. Are you crazy? After weeks of failing I'm back at it!

You're wondering what on earth you should do with dip, am I right? Well, I personally at it with grilled chicken, zucchini, and pita for dinner. Meals like this are my kind of food. Easy. Simple. Completed in less than an hour with minimal stove time and clean required. Other options are to top the pumpkin with some lightly spiced chickpea's and a side salad for an easy weeknight dinner. This dip is perfect for a barbecue, because you can totally make it advanced, and serve it warm or cold. Mostly, I recommend eating the dip straight out of the pan with some warmed pita, but that's just me!!


Tershi
Serves 4

1 15oz can Pureed Pumpkin
2 cloves Garlic
2" Ginger
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Chili powder
1/2 tsp Caraway powder
4 tbsp Olive oil
3 tbsp Red wine vinegar

1. In a medium skillet heat up the olive oil on medium-low heat. Mince or grate the garlic and ginger. Add to the heat through oil and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the salt, pepper, chili powder, and caraway powder.
2. Add pumpkin and the vinegar. Stir until well combined. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so the bottom doesn't burn. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment