Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2012

A new take on noddles

I think everyone has noticed by now that I don't eat noddles or pasta, of any kind. I never have and I never will. Amen.

It's a texture thing. The noddle texture, is just, well, weird. It's kinda mushy and squishy and chewy and and and ugh. I can't handle the texture people. I just can't. I'm sure by this point in my life I could learn to like pasta, but I figure that since I love all other carbs, like a lot, that it might not be the worst thing ever to not like one. My waistline is grateful. My waistline is also grateful that I haven't learned to like beer either, but that's another story for another day!


My pasta-aversion made me super hesitant to try spaghetti squash. I mean, I don't like pasta, why would I like something that is just like pasta?? But I love squash! I love the green and yellow of zucchini and summer squash. I can't get enough butternut squash these days, no matter how much I consume. Acorn squash is just so adorable too! So I really really wanted to try spaghetti squash, but I was scared.

I researched for hours on different spaghetti squash recipes. Which would be the best one to try first? I wanted to make sure that my initial spaghetti squash experience was as close to perfection as possible. What did I finally make? Sadly, it ended up being a mediocre peppers and meatballs dish. The good news was that I did in fact like the spaghetti squash!


Now, here's another fact about me: I adore Thai food! Yep yep I do. I could probably eat Thai food everyday and be completely happy. Oh wait, I did do that!

One of my favorite meals that I repeatedly ate in Bangkok
I got to thinking one day, what if I made pad Thai with spaghetti squash?!?!? Because, obviously, I've never had pad Thai, because hello, noodles are groody mcgrossness. Onto the Internet I went, yes, other people had in fact had the same genius idea as me! So I made it guys, for dinner, with a huge glass of wine to accompany it. 'Cause when your dinner is 80% vegetables you get a really big glass of wine with dinner! And chocolate! Woot woot! Best dinner ever!!!


Clarissa's Pad Thai
Serves 1

1 2-3lb Spaghetti squash
1 Carrot
3 Green onions
1/2 cup Mung bean sprouts
1 Egg
2 tsp Canola or vegetable oil
1 Garlic clove
2 tbsp Peanuts
2 tbsp Peanut butter
2 tbsp Soy sauce
1-2 tbsp Sriracha
2 tbsp Hoisin sauce

1. Cut spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Place cut-side down on a baking sheet and roast for 20-30 minutes at 400F or until fork tender. Once cooled enough to handle, take a fork and scrap the insides.
2. In a medium sized pan heat up the oil. While the oil heats up dice the carrots and green onions and garlic. Cook in the oil, about 3-5 minutes, until green onions and garlic are starting to brown. Add the egg and scramble it around.
3. While the egg and veggies cook, add the peanut butter, soy sauce, sriracha, and hoisin sauce in a small microwave proof bowl and heat up for 30 seconds. Mix until the peanut butter is dissolved. Taste, add more sriracha if you like things spicy.
4. Add the mung beans and half of the spaghetti squash in the pan. Add the sauce and stir until everything is well coated. Top with peanuts.


Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment