Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

New kitchen toys!!

I have a new kitchen toy! I've been wanting this one for a while, but hadn't found a recipe that made me want to run out and get one.


I fixed that problem. I got a mandolin. No, not the weird looking instrument, but the cooking gadget. You know, the one that slices vegetables real thin and even? It made super fast work of the big bowl of sweet potatoes that I had for my work Thanksgiving dish.


Yep, that's right. I have to work on Thanksgiving, kinda goes with the job. The babies can't take care of themselves! So on Thursday it'll be off to work I go, hi ho hi ho. Since I knew that I won't be having Thanksgiving on Thursday I did mine on the Sunday before.


I do what I usually do. I invited all my family and friends and made a huge meal for 10 people. It was grand! I ate too much, drank too much, and we played Cards Against Humanity. Oh, you don't know this game? Well, it's a card game for horrible people! That's what the box says! I swear! If you haven't played this game yet, I highly highly recommend you. Unless you are easily offended, in which case, don't ever play this game! You will be offended, often. If you aren't offended easily, then you should definitely play this game, like yesterday. Hello Christmas presents!


I have to show everyone the cutest picture I grabbed too.


It's like he's talking to the dog. "Dude, what's out there?" So cute, almost makes me want to procreate. Almost. But not actually. Kids, cute, but so so so permanent. My passport couldn't handle the competition. My passport is very needy, like a child.


What does any of this have to do with mandolin's? Um, absolutely nothing! Duh! But I get sidetracked easily. Look....there's something shiny!


Oh hi again! I'm back. Ok, mandolin's are cool because they will slice things quickly and evenly. Instead of standing at the counter chop chop chopping potatoes for-like-ever, this gadget will accomplish that in minutes! I got mine at Macy's and it wasn't expensive. I like it. I'm not overly fond of the hand protector and I might upgrade eventually to a standing mandolin, instead of the hand-held mandolin that I got. But, did I mention that it wasn't expensive? So who cares? Not my wallet.

 
This recipe is super cool for Thanksgiving, whether they are worked-related Thanksgivings or not! It's super tasty and super easy. You don't even really completely truly need a mandolin. It's just much tastier if you do use one. Trust me.
 
 

Sweet Potato Gratin
Serves 8

2lbs Sweet potatoes
1lb Gruyere
2c Heavy cream
2tsp Thyme
1tsp Salt
1/2tsp Nutmeg

1. Peel the sweet potatoes. Then using your handy-dandy mandolin slice the sweet potatoes on the thickest setting possible.
2. Grate all the cheese.
3. In a large greased pan layer the sweet potatoes and cheese, about 3-4 layers. Reserve a small amount of cheese for the top.
4. Pour in the heavy cream, salt, thyme, nutmeg mixture. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes uncovered, until the top is golden brown and bubbly and the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Allow the gratin to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into. This will allow the sauce to set.


Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment