Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Toronto

Last weekend I went to Toronto to visit friends. Have you been to Toronto? I hadn't and it is a great city. You should go.


It was shockingly my first time to Canada! You would have thought I would have been there considering everywhere else I've been, but no. I told my tale to the border control guy (who by the way was one of the nicest border control employee's I've ever encountered) and he stamped my passport for me! Yay! Another stamp. I have a slight addiction :)


Overall Toronto is a very fun city to explore with a lot of great restaurants! Canadians definitely like to eat and they like to eat heaps of multi-ethnic foods. So my kinda town! Let's take a moment to savor my apple, onion, and Gouda grilled cheese complete with apple cider. Can you get more fall than that? I think not!


One of my favorite things that I got to do was spend an afternoon exploring the Toronto Islands on bike. The islands are right off Toronto harbor and are located in west Lake Ontario. Cars are not permitted on the islands, only bikes and feet. There are no commercial stores either, and in fact, the only stores on the islands are several small cafes that are only open May to October.


Don't get the wrong idea, people do actually live there year round. Isn't that crazy? I totally get it though, the island is serenely peaceful and feels very isolated from the frenetic pace of the city, which is just moments away via ferry. During the summer there's all kinds of activities going on, everything from summer theater performances and concerts to beaches and Frisbee.


The island itself is quite quaint. The houses are small, but each unique with bright colors and lots of flowers and greenery. Kids are running around all over the place, enjoying a freedom that I'm sure their city-dwelling friends don't get to enjoy.


My friend and I spent the afternoon biking around the boardwalk and trails, taking in the colorful fall leaves. The day was a little chilly and overcast, but that didn't stop us! We walked around the small farm and saw the biggest pig I've ever seen. Oliver, the 800lb pig! Whoa, that's a lotta bacon! Is it bad that when I think of pigs I think of bacon?? We chased the peacocks around in hopes of getting them to spread their impressive tails, but sadly, we lost that battle.


Just before hopping on the ferry we had a hot chocolate and cookie to fuel us for the bike back to the city. The Toronto islands are a great way to spend an afternoon!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment