Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

I'm turning orange

Pumpkin week continues! Except this recipe is for butternut squash, but it's yummy, orange, and still in the winter squash group, so here you go! But first I'm going to tell you about my weekend away to Lake Anna. That's much much more important than butternut squash pizza.


After a weekend away with the girls at the lovely Lake Anna in all its fall glory I came home in need of something lighter. Something not filled with cheese and chocolate and marshmallow. Not that I would eat something of that combination all in one bite. No siree. Not me. Never...


I also wanted something that I could whip in a flash because it was exhausting eating, drinking, and playing Cards Against Humanity all weekend long. However did I manage?


Did I mention that this was the most gorgeous house I've ever slept in? They had built-in bunk beds! With cute portholes for windows in each nook. There was shimmery bathroom tile in every shower. Oh and AND not one but TWO dishwashers! Genius I tell you! Genius! Someone had their thinking caps on that day. All the while looking out on to the pretty lake reflecting the very colorful fall leaves.
Oh! and did I tell you how I thought I was going to die on the way down? Oh my word! So, I'm driving down after work and it's dark, because it's like 8 at night and now that means it's dark out. Like pitch black dark out. And I'm driving through the country down long windy roads with no idea where I'm going because hello, it's pitch black out. I'm trying to look at my GPS which, ugh, how I loathe the new maps on my iPhone. They take me the weirdest ways and it's so annoying!


Anyways...I'm driving and it's dark out and I'm trying to read my map, all the while staying on the curving winding road. Then it starts to rain. Then it starts to pour. Then I get really really nervous and slow down to about 3 mph because I was told earlier this week I only have about 2% of my front brakes left! And OMG I am going to die because it's raining, I can't see where I'm going, and I have no brakes people! Aggghhhhh


By the way, if you were behind me that night, I am very very sorry. But I was scared for, you know, my life. Hey, I didn't stay up till midnight the night before getting all this food ready so that I could go careening off a cliff at 9pm!


Thankfully, I got there without harm and it was totally worth it. Every single second of it. It was a perfect weekend filled with perfect fall weather, amazing people, lots of laughing, lots of food, and lots of wine.

Butternut Squash Pizza
Serves 2

2 Naan
1 Butternut squash
Thyme
1/2 cup Goat cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan
2 tsp Olive oil
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
Balsamic glaze for drizzling

1. Peel and cut up the butternut squash into 1" cubes. Place on a baking sheet and coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, and whatever seasonings you like. Bake at 400F for 30 minutes until tender and crispy at the edges.
2. Take the naan and each with a teaspoon of the olive oil. Sprinkle with pepper and garlic and fresh thyme. Cover the naan with thin strips of the roasted butternut squash. Sprinkle with goat cheese and Parmesan.
3. Bake at 400F until naan is golden brown on the bottom and the cheese is melted. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.

Variations:
1. I used frozen naan from Trader Joe's. It was the perfect combination of crispy and chewy without the mess of rolling out dough. If you want you can make your pizza dough or purchase pizza dough and roll out individual sized pizza's. You could even make this one big pizza for a crowd.
2. Fried sage would be fabulous, along with any type of winter squash.
3. Use whatever cheeses you like.
4. I also bought the balsamic glaze at Trader Joe's, but again, you could make your own by simmering some balsamic vinegar until thick and syrupy. I have a tendency to burn it so I went ahead and spent the $3 and bought it.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment