Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

It's pumpkin madness!

I'm sure you've noticed that I've been on a pumpkin kick recently. This also includes all the winter squashes, from pumpkin to butternut. I just can't get enough! Pumpkin is so versatile and yummy. Last week I needed to make a dessert for a work party that would still be good two days later. Onto Pinterest I went!

Hours minutes of scourging later I found this gem, Sour Cream Pumpkin Cake with Brown Butter Frosting. It was a huge hit at work and it was just as good two days later as if I had made it that very day. I mean, what more can you ask of a recipe? Needless to say I didn't have any cake to take home with me by the end of the day.


What I really liked about this recipe is the frosting. We all know that I am a huge frosting fan and am always looking for an excuse to whip some up. The homemade stuff doesn't even compare to that stuff in the can that they call frosting.


Now, this frosting recipe does include some cooking, but don't get freaked or anything, it's totally easy! I had never made brown butter before and it couldn't have been simpler. Best of all? It does things, magical yummy things to the frosting. What I really liked about the brown butter frosting is that it had the caramelly notes of salted caramel frosting, which I completely love, but at times can find to be a bit overpowering. This frosting is subtle, but still packs a tasty punch. Unlike salted caramel frosting that I can only handle about a tablespoon of at a time, this I can handle in giant spoonfuls over and over again!


I would also like to state/warn everyone that this recipe starts the beginning of PUMPKIN WEEK here at cskescapes! It's gonna be all pumpkin all the time! I can already feel your excitement!


Sour Cream Pumpkin Cake with Brown Butter Frosting
Serves 24

1/2 cup Butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cups Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Baking soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 cup Pumpkin
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Sour cream (I used full fat greek yogurt)
1/4 cup Milk
1 tsp Vanilla
2 cups Flour ( I used a combination of all-propose and whole wheat)

1. Grease a 9x13 pan and preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large mixing bowl mix together the sugar and butter until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time until combined. Add the vanilla, pumpkin, milk, and sour cream (or greek yogurt). Mix until well combined.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients until just combined. Pour into the greased baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely before adding frosting.

Frosting:
1 cup Butter
4 cups Powdered sugar
2 tbsp Milk
1 tsp Vanilla

1. In a small saucepan melt the butter on low-medium heat. Cook butter, stirring occasionally, until little brown bits appear, about 5-7 minutes. Keep an eye on the butter because it can go from brown bits to burned in a flash!
2. Add the browned butter into a medium sized bowl. Add the powdered sugar and the 2 tbsp milk and the vanilla. Mix on low speed so you don't cover the entire kitchen with powdered sugar (I speak from experience!). You may need more milk, add 1 tbsp at a time until desired consistency reached.
3. Pour over cooled cake.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment