Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Travel Challenge

Remember back in the day when I said that I was going to try to do some posts on the Bootsnall Indie Travel Challenge and then you never heard about it again? Well, I'm dusting off the cobwebs and trying again! Summer just got in the way of things and well, summer is over. If summer is over why is still 90 billion degrees out?

Anywho's....Here goes the week 35 question:

You have to pick one country in Asia to eat from for a month. What country do you pick? Why?

Oh dear god, this is a hard hard question. I mean, I love all food, from everywhere. How do I choose??? This is so unfair! I'm having heart palpitations just thinking about this and and and GAHHH!!!

What about Moroccan food?
Camel burger in Meknes, Morocco

Or Thai food??

Or the best meal I ate in Vietnam?


How about that Indian food?
A little thali action in Jaisalmer

Momo's in Tibet! 

Please don't make me choose just oonnnneeeee!!!!!!!!!


Ok, ok, fine. You win! I'll choose. I just want to state, again, for the record that this is all highly unfair, even if I am participating of my own free will.

And the winnnnneeeeeerrrrr is??????????

Thai!

Yep, I'm sure none of you are surprised. I can't help it. It's amazing, the combination of flavors, the unbelievable freshness, the everything. What I really enjoy about Thai food is their use of the 4 S's. Sweet, salty, spicy, and sour. By using ingredients like soy sauce, chilies, honey, and citrus they are able to hit on the 4 major taste buds in our mouths. The power of this cannot be denied. It's also very personal, each person likes some flavors more than others, and can easily adjust a meal to their own liking. The flavors of Thai food are incredibly fresh, making things come alive in your mouth. True, they use dried chilies and shrimp paste and a variety of other dried ingredients, but they also use fresh kaffir lime, ginger, garlic, and spring onions.


One of the best things I did in Thailand was attend a cooking class, where they taught me first hand how to make some of my favorite dishes. Have I done this at home yet? Not so much. Have I ever mentioned that I am a complete slacker? I really really have to this very second make a trip to the Asia food market. I just haven't...yet....sigh


 Even now that I'm home, I can eat Thai food almost every day of the week and be completely happy. Between the curries, fried rice, and stir fries it's difficult to get bored with the cuisine. So, yeah, if I got to stuck on a deserted island and I could only pick one type of food to eat for the rest of my days, it would be Thai.

What's yours????

No comments:

Post a Comment