Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A mood


I’ve been in a bit of a mood the last couple of days. It happens; you know what I’m talking about, that moodiness that occurs for every yet no specific reason. Frankly, I’m blaming the heat. A week straight of 95+ degree days is enough to make everyone cranky.

When these moods strike (thankfully not often!) I do what most people do; I go on a baking frenzy! Oh, wait, are you going to tell me that normal people don’t bake 9 dozen cookies and 2 lemon cakes in one afternoon? Well fine then! Still, it’s what I do. Something about the rhythmic actions of baking, especially baking cookies calms my mind. 



Here is what I did this afternoon:



I crank up the stereo and sing along in my very off-key voice to whatever music strikes me at the moment. Currently, I'm listening to The Lumineers. I highly recommend them!



Aren't the colors so pretty? These cookies totally remind me of cookies that I use to get as child. We lived in Minnesota and went to a grocery store called Byler's. Even though I haven't lived in Minnesota in 20 years and haven't been to a Byler's in at least 10 years, I still remember these huge M&M cookies.



In a world where I feel like I can't do much right these days, at least I can make dozens of cookies without a mistake! There's something strangely comforting about that.






The texture in these cookies is just downright fabulous! They're chewy and chunky and dense. I need a glass of milk STAT! 

M & M cookies
Makes 36 cookies
2 cups + 3 tbsp Flour
½ tsp Baking soda
1 ½ sticks butter, melted and cooled
1c Brown sugar
½ c Sugar
1 egg + 1 yolk
2tsp Vanilla
1c M & M’s (or whatever you like!)

1.       Turn oven to 325F

2.       Melt butter in a small saucepan or in a microwave-proof bowl , set aside to cool.

3.       In a stand mixer or a medium bowl mix both sugars, butter, and vanilla until well blended. Then add both eggs.

4.       In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients, except the M&M’s. Add in 2-3 batches to the wet ingredients. The mixture will look crumbly, but it will come together. Fold in the M&M’s.

5.       Using a 2” ice cream scooper or a spoon, make round balls. Bake for 8-10 minutes until slightly browned on the edges and puffed in the middle.  

Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 36 cookies
1 ¼ c Flour
½ c Cocoa, unsweetened
1 tsp Baking soda

1 tsp Baking powder

6 tbsp Butter, room temperature

3 tbsp Coconut oil

½ c Sugar

½ c Brown sugar

1 egg

1 ½ tsp Vanilla

1c Coconut

1c Old fashion rolled oats

1c Chocolate chips

1.      In a medium bowl or a stand mixer combined the butter, coconut oil, sugars, vanilla, and egg.

2.       In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients, except the coconut and chocolate chips.

3.       In 2-3 batches add the dry ingredients to the wet. Fold in the coconut and chocolate chips.

4.       Turn oven to 350F. Make 2” balls, flatten slightly on top. Bake for 10-11 minutes.  





No comments:

Post a Comment