Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Happy Fourth of July!

Did you have a nice 4th? I hope so! Was it filled with swimming, bbq’s, and fireworks? I had a nice day, a little quieter than I had anticipated, with the onset of a summer virus. Boo to summer sickness! Never less, I still managed to whip up some of my favorite summertime dishes.

First off, is my Corn and Black Bean Salad, so simple, so delicious! When you make this dish, and you will my friend, you will, just trust me! Please make extra. You’ll thank me later, I promise. This salad gets better the next day and can be served as a side dish with chicken, pork, or even fish. My favorite way? On a spoon, straight out of the fridge! Cold, crunchy, and so insanely flavorful!


I am finding myself in my usual summer predicament: I buy waaaaay to much produce! I can't help it!! When you see beauties like this corn, how can you not take it home and worship it?


I even bought myself a new toy! I try not to get to caught up in kitchen gadgets. You could fill an entire house with kitchen gadgets, but when I saw this corn stripper at Williams & Sonoma, I just had to have it!

I mean, look what it did to 6 ears of corn in mere moments? Unlike having to balance unstable corn stalks in a bowl and having half the corn fly all over the kitchen. This tool makes it so much easier! Plus, less clean up! Which means it's totally worth it's weight in gold! Duh.



A couple of these tomatoes came from my garden. I got waaay to much satisfaction from picking them and slicing them up for this salad. I scare myself....often...


Oooo, look at the basil. So pretty!


Doesn't this look like summer in a bowl? Look at the colors and the texture! Ugh, I can't take it!

Corn and Black Bean Salad
Serves 6

6 ears of Corn, husked and lightly steamed
1 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in quarters
1 15 oz can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 large bunch of Basil, finely chopped or sliced
1 Lemon, zested and juiced
1/2c Olive oil
1 tsp Salt and pepper
2 cloves Garlic, minced

1. Remove the corn from the husk and place in a large pot or saucepan with a lid. Steam for 2-3 minutes in about 1" of water. Remove and let cool.
2. Rinse and drain black beans. Place in a big bowl.
3. Chop tomatoes, basil, and garlic. Throw in with the black beans.
4. Add remaining ingredients.
5. Either using a knife or corn stripper remove the kernels from the husk. Add to the bowl. Mix everything well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment