Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

A Typical Saturday Night


My Saturday started out gloriously, it rained. Yeah, you heard me, rained! I mean downright poured, complete with thunder and lighting. Perfect sleeping weather. An hour later is was sunny. Weird.
I did my normal routine of taking this guy for a walk. He’s so deprived. Then I took myself for a run. Gee, I’m so exciting! I can barely contain myself. Guess what came next? Target. And Trader Joe’s. I know, I know, I’m bursting with excitement!

I had a killer dinner, what did you have? My dinner was tacos. Yep, still obsessed. Like, completely obsessed. Oh my gawd. I just can’t get enough of slow cooked meats wrapped in a tortilla. I may need an intervention. That and salsa. I don’t know about you guys, but in the hot humid months I can pretty much live on salsa and chips. Oh and avocados. I heart green gunk! Why am I tell you about this? Because my friends, we need to have a little talk. It’s time.


Ok, taco seasoning. That packaged stuff. What is in it??? No, seriously! Have you looked at the listed ingredients? Why is hydrogenated fat in TACO SEASONING??? I just got a shiver up my spine thinking about it. Ew. Just ew. I am insisting that you make your own. It’s easy peasy. I can pretty much bet that you already have the ingredients in your cabinet. Go; look in your spice cabinet. Right now!

Taco Seasoning
1 Tbsp Chili powder

1 ½ tsp Cumin
½ tsp Smoked paprika

¼ tsp Garlic powder
Pinch of cayenne

Salt and Pepper
This makes enough for one batch of tacos. I usually make several batches at a time and store it in an airtight container. I urge you play around with different ingredients and amounts. I added more cumin because we all know what a cumin freak I am! The great thing about making your spice mixture is that you can adjust to your own tastes!


What did I make with this great new taco seasoning? Um, hello? Tacos. Duh. I took some frozen chicken breasts and threw them into a crock pot with the taco seasoning and a can of beer. Yep, beer. Then I turned it on high and left the house for several hours. Sometimes you just have to let stuff do its thing, alone. I could tell it didn’t want company. So I went to Target. Target is always there for me.

Anyways, I came home with grand plans to make corn and black bean salsa, but guess what I forgot at Target? Black beans. I’m such a dork! It was on my list and everything. I roasted that corn for nothing. Well, not nothing. I’ll probably eat it tomorrow covered in butter and salt while watching Under the Tuscan Sun for the 3rd time this week. That movie is a classic, I love Diane Lane. I wanna buy a house in Tuscany. Wanna come with me?


No comments:

Post a Comment