Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Stuff crust pizza

Pizza is an amazing food. I don’t know who created it, but kudos to them. They did good. There’s something about that thin crispy crust, piled high with toppings, and browned bubbly cheese that makes my toes curl under with happiness. The possibilities are endless, a simple Margarita pizza, a Chicago deep dish pizza, heck, even fruit pizza!

Once I started making my own pizza, Fu geda bout it! Nothing gets better. Ever. Period.

I recently discovered a new cooking blog (I know, ANOTHER cooking blog) that is great. The author is witty and her food is amazing, I’m sure the fact that bacon is frequently involved has nothing whatsoever to do with it. I mean, who likes bacon? Certainly not me.
I was scanning through recipes the other day when I decided to work a 16 hour shift and was starting to slowly die at about 9pm. Mind you I had gotten to work at 7am and had been up since 515. When asked if I would be willing to stay an extra 4 hours it seemed like such a good idea at the time. Sure, an extra 4 hours AND a bonus, why not? Clarissa needs a new pair of shoes! Actually, I need a new headlight for my car that I keep forgetting to fix.

Anyways, I was looking at this blogs pizza recipes and saw a couple that I decided needed to get married.
I was right, they are perfect together! A match made in heaven! Goat cheese stuff crust with roasted peppers, bacon, and balsamic glaze Together 4 Eva!!!

Are you drooling by the mere sound of this pizza? Yeah, you should be!
This pizza came together in a snap, which is saying a lot, because I spent the day gardening and was exhausted.

Start first by making your own dough. Stop whining. It's not hard. I promise. Pinky promise. Now go!

OK, I have an admission to make. I didn't make my own pizza dough tonight, I usually do, but not tonight my friends. I was really tiiireedd OK? I dug in the dirt all day and was so tired I was forced to wear my silly Ali Baba pants. Well, not really. I put those on willingly. They're just so comfy.


If, like me, you are much too tired to make your own dough, places like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and your favorite local pizza shop will gladly sell you pizza dough for not a lot of money.

Cook bacon and drain on a paper towel. Try not to slightly overcook the bacon like I did, ok?
  

Using the bacon grease, because frankly, everything tastes better cooked in bacon grease, cook the shallots or onions.

While the magic happens, also known as caramalization, cut up the tomatoes and roasted red bell peppers.


I did roast my own red bell peppers. I forgot to take a picture though, so you're going to have to believe me without photographic eveidence.

Roll out dough to desired shape and size. Leave a 1/2 - 1" border. Sprinkle on the Mozzarella or Fontina cheese. Cover with tomatoes, peppers, onions, and bacon. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese, including the paremsan. Tear basil into strips to fit the border, layer all around the edges. Place blobs of goat cheese with the basil. Blobs, ha, that's a funny word. Sorry, back to pizza! Pull the dough over the basil and goat cheese and pinch close.



While the pizza is cooking make the balsamic glaze. Only good things can happen with a balsamic glaze, trust me! Boil on medium for 15 minutes and then let cool and become syrupy, another 10 minutes.

Cook the pizza for 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbly!

Drizzle with the glaze. Die, just die, because this looks so so so good!

Stuff Crust Pizza
Serves 4

2 pre-made pizza crust

2 Red bell peppers, roasted and sliced thinly

2 shallots, thinly sliced (I used half a sweet onion because I had one)

½ Tomato, seeded and diced small

2 slices of Bacon

6 oz Mozzarella or Fontina

2 oz Parmesan

3 oz Goat cheese (I used a herb coated goat cheese)

1 ½ c Balsamic vinegar

2 stems of Basil

1.       If you feel so inclined, make your own pizza dough. I do highly recommend doing this. It’s easy and fabulous.
2.       Slice bacon and cook in a medium pan on medium-low. Once cooked through place on a paper towel to drain.

3.       Using the bacon grease, cook the thinly sliced shallots (or in my case onion) on low for about 10 minutes, until caramelized.

4.       Slice the roasted red peppers and seed and dice the tomato.

5.       Roll out the dough into whatever shape and size you want. Place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle 4 oz of the cheese on the dough, leaving ½ - 1” of border. Layer on onions, tomatoes, peppers, and bacon. Sprinkle the remainder of the Mozzarella or Fontina and finish with the Parmesan.

6.       Tear basil into long strips. On the border of dough left place basil strips and chunks of goat cheese all the way around. Pull over the dough and pinch shut.

7.       Place pizza into a 450F for 15-20 minutes, until golden and bubbly.

8.       While pizza is cooking, place balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan on medium. Boil for 15 minutes until reduced by half. Cool for 10 minutes until syrupy. Drizzle on finished pizza.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment