Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

Christmas Dessert

I've been planning the holiday menu and came up with a conundrum. I needed a dessert that could preferably be made ahead of time, like days ahead, frozen, and still be amazing come December 25th. I pondered and cruised my foodie websites. I pondered some more. I hemmed and then I hawed. What is the answer?

Cheesecake. Cheesecake is the answer! But how to make it Christmasy? And decadent? And amazing? More pondering ( my life seems to revolve around a lot of pondering ). I think I came up with a good solution guys.

Pumpkin Cake Cheesecake with Dark Chocolate and Ginger Topping. Wow. That's a ridiculous mouthful. At least it's a tasty mouthful! Here's what I decide to do: pumpkin cake on the bottom with plain cheesecake baked on top topped with dark chocolate and crushed chocolate ginger cookies.


Have you met these cookies yet? You need too! I'm telling you, ROCKING MY WORLD!! Like, no joke. Thank you Trader Joe's for reaffirming my trust in human kind, because whoever came up with these cookies is a freakin' genius who clearly loves us all! And thank God that they're only going to carry these cookies during the holidays, my thighs couldn't handle this year round.


On a completely unrelated topic, why is it that I find more things to buy myself when out shopping for others? No other time of year do I have this problem! Last weekend I went to finish up a few last minute gifts and came home with a scratch-off map, a merino wool shirt, and 2 pairs of running leggings! I swear, I should never ever ever go shopping. Ever. Things happen. Does everyone have this problem too?

This recipe came together easily and fairly quickly, despite there being several steps. For the final verdict you'll have to wait till after Christmas!

For the base I used my Pumpkin Cake from earlier this fall.


Cheesecake

16oz Cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/3cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2cup Sour cream


Dark Chocolate and Ginger Topping

4-6 oz Dark chocolate, melted
6 TJ's Ginger cookies, crushed

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 muffin tins with paper liners and spray with Pam. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon into each muffin tin. Bake for 10 minutes. The cakes should be almost done, firm, but not completely set. They will finish baking later with the cheesecake.
2. In a large bowl mix together all the cheesecake ingredients until smooth. Pour into muffin tin till full. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheesecake has set.
3. In a microwave-proof bowl melt the dark chocolate in 30 second intervals until completely melted. Spoon onto the top of the cooled cheesecakes.
4. Sprinkle crushed ginger cookies onto and slightly press into the chocolate.
5. Allow chocolate and cookies to set before transferring to the freezer.


Merry Christmas!!

 

1 comment:

  1. This looks soooo good! Cheesecake & chocolate? How can you go wrong?

    ReplyDelete