Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Couscous stuffed acorn squash

Hello. It's Saturday. Did you make it through the week relatively unscathed?


My week was a little touch and go, but that's mostly because my bronchitis has reared its ugly head again and I'm coughing like non-stop. It's great. I highly recommend it. Not. Ugh. After the hurricane and eating like a fiend, because hellllo the food was all gonna go bad (because we had no power) and clearly needed to eaten all in one day, duh, I decided I needed something healthy. So I made this.

 
 I figured if the receptacle that one is using is a vegetable it clearly has to be healthy. Then I added a bunch of veggies to the couscous for an added nutrient bonus. I also threw in some sausage to make it a complete meal. This recipe is incredibly versatile, so please, I urge you, make it however you want, with whatever you, or whatever you happen to have on hand. 'Cause that's what I did!


On an unrelated note, has anyone started listening to Christmas music yet? I am only slightly embarrassed to admit that I have. Not everyday and all the time, but it's started popping up on my playlist a couple times a week. Do you ever listen to Christmas music when it's clearly not Christmas at all? Like the middle of July? For me it happens like once a year, usually in the middle of summer when it's so insanely hot and I'm wishing it was December and cold and I didn't sweat all the time. I listen to it for like a day and then I'm done...until November. The Christmas music is allowed to come out in November! There's no waiting till December here! That's just not enough Jingle Bell and Carol of the Bell time people.

The bigger question is though...have you started planning your Thanksgiving menu yet??? I have. I know, you are not surprised, not even in the slightest. But guys, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It is the only holiday that is pretty much alllllll about the food. Not to mention awesome food like turkey and potatoes and all my favorite autumn flavors. I'm already excited and it's still weeks away! So get excited people because I'm gonna share all my Thanksgiving recipes here. So don't miss out!


But first, make this. You'll feel super healthy and good about yourself afterwards!

Couscous Stuffed Acorn Squash
Serves 2

1 Acorn squash, 2-3lbs
1 Onion, medium sized and diced
1 Leak, cut in half and sliced
2 Carrots, diced
1/2 Red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup Craisins
1 cup Couscous, cook according to package directions
2 links of Sausage, I used apple
1 tsp Salt
1tsp Pepper
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 head of Garlic, roasted
1/4 cup Balsamic glaze
1-2 tbsp Olive oil

1. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut a small portion of the bottom off so that it will sit up on it's own, but don't cut all the through the squash. Place squash halves on an aluminum lined cookie sheet and bake on 400F for 25 minutes until almost fork tender.
2. In a medium pan heat 1 tbsp of olive oil. Remove the sausage from the casing and begin to brown on medium-low heat. Chop the onion, leaks, carrots, and red bell pepper. Add to the browning sausage. Cook until veggies are soft.
3. While the veggies cook prepare the couscous according the package directions. Once ready set aside until the veggies and sausage mixture are finished cooking.
4. In a large bowl add the couscous, veggies, and sausage and start to season. I used what I like and had on hand, again, please feel free to be creative here! I had some left over garlic so I used that as my main flavor component. Add thyme, oregano, salt and pepper, and craisins. Adjust seasonings as needed and to taste.
5. When the squash are almost fork tender remove from oven and add the couscous mixture to the center, creating a nice mound on top, about 1 cup per squash half. Place back in oven for about 15 minutes or until the squash are finished cooking and are fork tender. There will be plenty of the stuffing left over. Hello lunches!
6. Drizzle some balsamic glaze on top.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment