Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Cornbread stuffing bowls

Hello. Remember me? Clarissa?


Guess where I've been? Sadly, no where exciting! The last several weeks have been consumed with work (ugh) and being sick.....still. Remember that bronchitis that I mentioned in the beginning of October? Yep, still got it! Apparently, bronchitis is like, no joke people! I've had this thing, this germ, this insect called bronchitis infecting my lungs for 6 weeks now. As a result there hasn't been much cooking going on. Mostly coughing, a lot.


That changed tonight. I made dinner folks! And I have plans to make dinner tomorrow night. Gasp! Not only do I have plans to make dinner for the next 2 nights, but, but we've got Thanksgiving coming up. Hands down my favorite holiday all year long. It's the only holiday where food is almost the soul focus. Since I don't watch football, Thanksgiving is pretty much all about the food and nothing else. And I go all out. So get excited, because it's coming soon to a theatre near you.


This recipe is a concoction that I created in honor of Thanksgiving, because stuffing, really, should be eaten more than one day a year. Amen.

Oh and while we're on the topic of stuffing: What's the difference between stuffing and dressing? I have no idea.

Cornbread Stuffing Bowls
Serves 4-6

1 Butternut squash, medium sized and cubed
2 tbsp Olive oil
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Thyme and oregano
3 Sausage links, de-cased
1 Onion, small and diced
4 Celery stalks, diced
1 Apple, medium and diced
3 Garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp Butter
1/2 cup Parmesan
1 package of Cornbread stuffing mix

1. Peel and cube the butternut squash. Arrange on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and oregano. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork and is caramelized. Set aside.
2. In a large pan melt the butter on medium-low while dicing the onion, celery, apple, and garlic. Add to the melted butter and sprinkle lightly with salt. Cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add the de-cased sausage. I used a sweet Italian sausage, but use whatever you have and like. Break up the sausage as it cooks.
3. While the sausage cooks, make the cornbread stuffing according to the package directions.
4. Once the sausage has cooked through add the butternut squash and 1/2 cup, minus 2 tbsp, of the Parmesan. Adjust seasonings as desired.
5. Add the cornbread stuffing to the pan and mix thoroughly. Scoop into a greased 8x8 glass baking dish. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan on top. Bake at 400F for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve with a simple spinach salad.

Variations:
1. Use different sausage, different veggies, go crazy! I almost went with a sun-dried tomato variation. Maybe next week??
2. Use whatever stuffing/dressing you like. Use store bought or make your own. I was entirely too lazy and tired to even consider the possibility of making my own cornbread for stuffing.
3. This would probably look way to cute in individual bowls or gratin bowls, a thought I had after it went in the oven!

Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment