Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chili and Cornbread

I have not one, but two recipes for you today! I'm really excited about both of them. I'm not really a football fan, there's just something about a bunch of grown men lining up in a row to run into each other that doesn't really do a lot for me. I'm weird, what can I say!


Inevitably, I end up at a game at least once a year. This was especially true when I use to live across the street from the Navy Stadium, I had prime parking and did a bang up job with the tailgating spread. Who me? Cook and bake her brains out for a group of people, never!!


Not to mention that hill tickets were like $10, so if my roommates and I were bored on a Saturday or something we'd pop over for an afternoon of watching violence football.


What I can get behind for football is the tailgating. I like burgers and chili and drinking before 5pm, can I just go home after the tailgating? Miss out on that whole game-watching-numb-butt thing?


Instead, I sit and watch the game, but mostly end up people watching. Humans are funny funny creatures, especially the really loud intense ones that are all covered in paint with foam fingers. They crack me up! This game I also had a toddler in my group, and toddlers, in case you haven't experienced one recently, are also funny funny creatures. They are so easily amused and happy. I wish I was that happy allllllllll the time. And could whine and cry when I wasn't. Ohh wait, maybe I do do that. Hmm...

Anyways! Back to chili and cornbread! My chili recipe was born out of a weird combination of stuff I had on hand, my desire to add more vegetables to every meal I eat so that I can justify eating five second helpings, and the best cornbread recipe you've ever had in your whole entire life.


So, don't go getting all weird about the zucchini, just be a good boy or girl, and put it in there. I promise you won't notice that it's there!


As for the cornbread, anything named Grannie's Such and Such is bound to be amazing. Period. End of story. Not to mention it's the simplest recipe ever using a mere 4 ingredients, all of which most people have on hand at all times.


Let's kick off game season and fall! Make some chili and cornbread! Please! Pretty please!


Clarissa's Chili
Serves 6-8

1lb Ground lean beef (or turkey)
1 Onion, medium, diced
1 Red bell pepper, medium, diced
1 Zucchini, medium/small, finely diced
1 15oz can Tomatoes, diced
1 28oz can Tomatoes, crushed
2-3 cups Chicken broth
1 15oz can Kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15oz can Chicken peas, rinsed and drained
3 tbsp Chili powder
2 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Garlic
2 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper

1. In a large soup pot cook the ground beef on medium. While the ground beef is cooking chop up the onions and peppers and add it to the pot. Once the meat is done cooking and the veggies are soft, add the zucchini. Cook for another minute or so.
2. Add all the spices to the meat and veggie mixture, cook for 1-2 minutes to allow the spices to come back to life.
3. Add all the tomatoes and beans. Start adding the broth, the amount needed varies so go slowly until the desired thickness. I like to add a touch more because some of it will cook off while the chili cooks. Once desired thickness has been reached and the chili is heated through taste and adjust the seasonings a bit. Cook for 20-30 minutes. Add more broth and seasonings as needed.
4. Get all the toppings you like ready, cause it's almost eating time! Once the chili has had at least 30 minutes to cook dig in! The longer you are able to wait and let the chili cook the better it is!

Variations:
1. Like all chili recipes you can use whatever combination of diced tomatoes, crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce/paste you like and have on hand. I have made this chili differently every time based on what I've had on hand!
2. You can make this as spicy as you like, add some green chilies or jalapenos.
3. This can be made in the crock pot on low for 8 hours.

Grannie's Cornbread
Serves 8

1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
1 stick of Butter, room temperature or melted
2 Eggs
1 15oz can Cream of Corn

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease an 8" pie pan with Pam or butter.
2. In a bowl mix all the ingredients until there aren't any lumps. Pour into baking dish.
3. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly golden brown around the edges and a knife comes out clean.


Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment