Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Homemade Reese's Cups

Uh oh. Yep, I did it again. I'm not sorry. I have an obsession and I have to share it with all of you. I am infatuated with making things from scratch at home.


First, it was the pita's. Then the snicker bars. Next, I was onto marshmallow's. Where will the insanity end? I kinda hope it doesn't.


My friends tease me because I'm totally going to be one of those mom's, you know which ones I'm talking about, the ones that make everything from scratch. And I do mean everything. Baby food. Toilet paper. Halloween costumes. Like usual stuff.


I don't know where I got these tendencies from. My mom was definitely not one of those mom's. Don't get me wrong, my mom is great, one of the absolute best, but she didn't make my baby food from scratch. She did make me several Halloween costumes from boxes and I went as a present. But really I wanted to buy one of those super insanely expensive pre-packaged Halloween costumes. Instead, I went as a present. My mom wasn't into making bread or making every single component of a smores like me.

Where did I get this affliction from??? Sometimes I wish I could just be normal and be content buying Reese's Peanut Butter Cups like everyone else. This tale got started at lunch last week. Someone had Reese's and I couldn't take my eyes off of them. Literally, I stared. Which was a bit weird, but there was chocolate and peanut butter involved. I couldn't help myself.

I got to thinking afterwards. How would one go about making them? Is it hard? How do get the little ridges? In come Pinterest. Oh Pinterest! How you solve all my problems these days! Need a new recipe, Pinterest! Need a way to clean that ugly horrible grout with something natural, Pinterest! Want to stare at clothes that you can't buy and at places you can't go to right this second, Pinterest!


I did my research into making these little gems. It seems surprisingly, no shockingly, easy! Chocolate, peanut butter, powdered sugar, and butter combined with a few easy steps. Huh.


So here's how I spent my Sunday afternoon:


Good luck resisting!

Peanut Butter Cups
Makes 1 dozen

3 cups Milk or Dark chocolate chips
1 cup Peanut butter
2 tbsp Butter
1/2 cup Powdered sugar

1. Using muffin liners, line a muffin tin. In a microwave-proof bowl melt 2 cups of the chocolate until smooth. Take about 1 tablespoon of chocolate and pour into each muffin liner. Tilt the chocolate on the sides to create the edge. The amount of chocolate might vary a bit, just make sure that there's enough chocolate to coat a bit of the edges and to make the bottom. Place in freezer for 30-45 minutes until set.
2. In another microwave-proof bowl heat up peanut butter and butter until the peanut butter is easily stirred. Add the powdered sugar. You can add more or less, make it as sweet as you like, just remember that the chocolate, especially the dark, will offset a little of the peanut butter sweetness. Once the peanut butter-sugar mixture is combined, it will be a little stiff, take 1 tablespoon and place in the middle of the chocolate. Smooth down with spoon or finger until the peanut butter covers the chocolate in one smooth layer.
3. Top the peanut butter layer with the remaining melted chocolate. Place in freezer for at least an hour.

Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment