Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Babies, cupcakes, and veggies

I had a really great weekend. How about you? I was suppose to go to the beach, but sadly, Mother Nature had different ideas for me. Which, actually, was totally OK, because I got to spend lots of time with this guy:

Who can't decide if he wants toes or fingers or maybe both. This kid is dangerous I tell you, not only is he insanely cute, but he's also well behaved. I kept having to remind my ovaries to not get any ideas, we still have some things to do. They're totally not listening. Oh god, I'm talking about my ovaries online. I'm sorry, I'll stop.


Anyways...........Not only did I spend the weekend with a cute man, but I also had someone else cook for me all weekend! I can't begin to tell you what a rarity that is. Papa Bartlett is an awesome cook and also an all-around awesome person in general. He made me sausage gravy and flat iron steak AND pulled pork. Oh my word. It was meat and carb-loving all the way. I'll have ham and pork with a side of biscuit please, hold the veg.

Oh and did I mention the cupcakes? I had a strawberry pretzel salad cupcake with cream cheese frosting that was amazing! Wanna know what even more amazing? The margarita cupcake I had right after that one! If you are wondering what pretzel salad is it's an Eastern Shore salad that consists of jello, strawberries, crushed up pretzels, and cream cheese. I know, it sounds disgusting, but just trust me on this, it's fabulous. It's sweet and salty and crunchy and creamy, everything you could ever ask for.

On the way out of the city I was feeling a bit guilty about my lack of greenness, luckily for me there are a ton of fresh local produce stands along the way. I stocked up.

Look at all that amazingness! Isn't it purdy?


It took me a day or so to finally decide what I should do with all of it, I had so many ideas and concoction running through my head. Finally, I decided a sweet potato breakfast hash would be the way to go. Breakfast hash, for those of you who aren't familiar, is usually a combination of potato and meat with an egg on top. I decided to throw in a bunch of summer veggies and corn cooked in bacon fat! Delicious!

I ended up throwing in some jalapenos too for a bit of a kick, this decision was made because I've had a ton of jalapenos growing all summer long. I'm starting to run out of ideas for them. Suggestions??

Isn't this a weird looking squash? I'm not quite sure what is going on here. Whatever. It tasted fine! The cool thing about hash is that just about anything can be throw in and it will be awesome. It's a great way to clean out the fridge and makes a hardy breakfast or even dinner. I love breakfast for dinner. It's the best.


Breakfast Sweet Potato Hash
Serves 4

2 Sweet potatoes, slightly cooked and diced
3 ears of Corn, removed from the cob
1 Zucchini, diced
1/2 Yellow squash, diced
1 Red bell pepper, diced
1 clove Garlic, minced or finely grated
4-5 slices of Bacon, diced
4 Eggs
1 Jalapeno
1/2c Parmesan
Salt and Pepper

1. Dice the bacon and cook in a large pan on medium, until the fat has rendered off, set aside. Cook the corn for about 3 minutes in the bacon, set aside.
2. While the bacon and corn are cooking, slightly cook the scrubbed sweet potatoes in the microwave for around 5 minutes, depending on their size. They should give slightly. Dice the potatoes. Throw in the pan with several pats of butter. Leave the potatoes alone for several minutes to allow them to get some good color.
3. While the sweet potatoes cook dice up the bell pepper, zucchini, and squash. Throw the pepper in for about minute before the zucchini and squash.
4. Once all the veggies are in add the garlic and a dash of salt and plenty of pepper. Be careful with the amount of salt you use. The veggies need a little, but there is bacon and cheese for the remaining salt.
5. While the veggies and sweet potatoes cook, cook your egg's however you like them. I fried them, but if you prefer sunny side up, go for it! Sprinkle the eggs with pepper and Parmesan cheese while they cook.
6. Once the sweet potatoes and veggies are cooked through throw the bacon and corn back in and stir in a handful of Parmesan. Adjust seasonings as needed.
7. Plate-up the hash and top with an egg!


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment