Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Lunch

Lunches can be boring. Peanut butter and jelly on white bread. Plain turkey. Leftovers. Frozen meals. Why not instead make something really tasty that makes you want to go eat lunch? Like this.


This is Greek Chicken Salad. It is yummy, filled with crunchy veggies, chicken, and feta. This is so much better than boring turkey. You can eat it on bread. Or a sled. Or a bed. OK, I'll stop. No more rhyming, pinky promise.



One thing that makes this salad really good and gives it its Greek flare is the Feta Dip. The feta dip is non-optional here kids. Don't think that you can replace the dip with just feta, it won't be the same, I swear. The feta dip is filled with feta, lemon, and roasted garlic and jalapenos and is amazing all on its very own.

The point of lunch shouldn't be to shove food in your face to assuage your hungry while sitting at your desk and typing away. Lunch should be about making your coworkers jealous that they don't have such an amazing lunch! Remember the days in the cafeteria when you would get totally jealous of Timmy, who sat next to you at lunch, who got Ho Ho's in his lunch and you didn't? Same concept applies here folks.

What really inspired this whole meal was that I had a bunch of random frozen chicken breasts and fresh jalapenos from my garden. I scoured the Internet, trying to find the perfect meal to use these ingredients. That's a lie, I actually just stumbled across this recipe at How Sweet Eats. I looked at it and said Hey! I have all those ingredients! I should make that. Right. This Very. Second. Which is how these things always happen to me.

Greek Chicken Salad
Makes enough for a week of lunches

3 Chicken breasts, cooked and cubed or shredded
1/2 pint Cherry Tomatoes, sliced into quarters
1/2 Cucumber or zucchini (Or both!)
6 Scallions, sliced
1c Greek Yogurt
1/2 Lemon, zested and juiced
Dill, a handful or so, minced
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2-3/4 c Feta Dip
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper

Feta Dip
16 oz Feta, I prefer brick form but use what you have or like
1 head of Garlic, roasted, cooled, and squeezed out
3 Jalapenos, roasted, deseeded, and minced
1 Lemon, zested and juiced
1/2c Olive oil

1. To make the feta dip place the garlic and jalapenos in an oven at 400F until the jalapenos are slightly charred and the garlic is roasted. Set aside to cool.
2. Chop the feta and zest and juice the lemons.
3. Assemble the dip, taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I needed more lemon and some pepper.

1. Cook the chicken however you like. Like I said before, I cooked a bunch in the crock pot, shredded it, and used it throughout the week for various recipes.
2. Chop all the veggies and herbs.
3. Pile everything into a big bowl and start throwing in the yogurt and other seasonings and herbs. Taste as you go and adjust as needed. If you were feeling very lazy you could use some store bought Tzatziki sauce instead, but it's really just yogurt, dill, garlic, lemon, and cucumber. I have confidence that you can do that!
4. I ended up adding more feta dip, because I felt like it added a lot of flavor to the salad.
5. This salad can be served on it's own or on rolls or in wraps. Use your imagination.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment