Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mother's Day Traditions


This past Sunday we all took a moment to say Thanks Mom! In my house we have certain traditions that we do for Mother’s Day. We have brunch, followed by planting around the yard, and then more food with a fabulous dinner! It’s a pretty good tradition if I do say so myself. And I do, because this is my blog!
My family’s first tradition starts at breakfast with our version of eggs Benedict; we call them Egg’s PK, after my dad. The big difference here is that we scramble the eggs, instead of poaching them. Poached eggs kinda freak me out, something about the runny yolks, it's just not right I tell you. Otherwise the eggs Benedict recipe is the same!
Start by cracking a whole cartoon of eggs into a big bowl. Add whatever type of milk, salt, and pepper in the amounts you so desire. Then scramble away.



Take an English muffin, sliced in half and toasted. Ladle on eggs, top with sliced ham, and drizzle (heavily) on homemade Hollandaise sauce, and broil. Easy-peasy. Simple. Tasty.
 
What is it about those nooks and crannies? Something magical happens!


This was the perfect meal because, while I cannot confirm nor deny, the children of the house may have been slightly hung-over from festivities from the night before. Thank goodness my mother was just thrilled to have us all under the same roof that she happily ignored our moans and groans!

My brother looking ready to make some Eggs PK!
Now if you feel so inclined (and frankly, you should!) you could make your very own Hollandaise sauce. It's actually quite easy and so much better then the scary stuff that comes out of the package. This particular Hollandaise was made even easier by the fact that I didn't even have to do it! I had a helper!! I know, I just about died too! I sometimes get cleaner-upper helpers, but rarely actual kitchen helpers. Plus, this one actually went to culinary school. So, he like knows stuff. You know, about cooking. This includes how to make Hollandaise sauce. I highly recommend finding your very own kitchen helper that can do this. It's good. Very good.

Kitchen helper!

Clarifying butter for the sauce. Mmm, butter...

Once the sauce is finished it's time to eat! I serve this with fresh fruit and something sweet, like my version of Entemman's cheese danish.

Egg’s PK:
Serves 4-6

1 dozen Eggs
½ cup Milk

6 English muffins, sliced in half and lightly toasted
12 slices of ham

Hollandaise sauce

1.       Crack eggs into a large bowl and add milk. Salt and pepper to taste. Whisk. Place in a large skittle on low-medium heat. Scramble to your liking.

2.       Slice and toast English muffins. Place on a sheet pan.

3.       Once eggs are cooked, ladle onto the English muffins. Layer a slice of ham on top. Put into the oven on broil till slightly crisp.

4.       Drizzle as much Hollandaise sauce on as you desire.

5.       Enjoy!
There's Pete, licking his lips, watching us cook!


Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment