Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

My dinner for the past week

I've been on this kick lately of trying to be really good about using all leftovers and edible things in my kitchen. I don't know about you guys, but I have a tendency to pick up a few extra things at the grocery store. Those teeny-tiny zucchini's just had to come home with me! I mean seriously, look at them. They're so cute! And now I'm stuck trying to work it into my menu that I've already planned out for the week.


Oh, don't try to act like you don't stand on the counter to take just the right picture of your veggies too! Please, just please tell you do so I don't feel like such a weirdo! And no mocking for my unpainted toes! Gahh...I need a pedicure!

I'll make something and have heaps of leftovers, because if one roasted butternut squash is good, clearly two is better! I mean duh, who doesn't need 3 million-pounds of butternut squash?


You load your cart up with goodies and get to the register and are shocked by the total amount and yet you get home and have no earthly idea what in god's-name-you-purchased? Because somehow there doesn't seem to be any food in the house? Yep, weekly occurrence here folks. Do you do this also Dear reader? Please tell me you do! This nonsense has got to stop!


So, in a effort to a better more well rounded person I've been trying to get creative with my leftovers. I came up with a real winner last week that proceeded to be my break-dinner (ie: what I ate before I went to work at 7pm) for the week.

This salad is super hardy, a complete meal, and can be done a million different ways with whatever you happen to have on hand. You can thank me later.

Leftover Salad
Serves: Me

2 cups of Kale
1/2 cup Roasted potatoes
1/2-3/4 cup of roasted butternut squash
1 Egg
1 oz Crumbled goat cheese
1 handful of Sliced almonds
1 handful of dried Cherries
Drizzle of balsamic glaze

1. In a medium sized pan heat through the potatoes. Once warmed through place on top of the kale. Set aside.

2. I attempted to form patties out of the butternut squash and failure, but no matter. It was still tasty! Heat the butternut squash in the same pan until warm through and crispy on the edges. On the other side of the pan crack an egg and quickly scramble it. No need to dirty up another bowl here.

3. Once the butternut squash is finished add on top of the potatoes. Once the egg is cooked to your desired egg-done-ness slide it on top of everything else.

4. Top with goat cheese, almonds, and cherries. No need for dressing because there should be enough oil and seasonings from the potatoes and squash. Just finish off with a drizzle of balsamic glaze!

5. This salad could literally be made with just about anything on hand. Cauliflower, broccoli, carrots. Regular potatoes, sweet potatoes. Any nut or dried fruit or cheese. Use your imagination!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment