Pages

Friday, October 25, 2013

Cheese Gougeres

Hola! Como estas? I mean, wait hang on, that's Spanish. Merci beaucoup. Ok, wait no, that's wrong too. Hi hello. I made French pastry and I wanted to sound all cool and French, but it was all wrong. What wasn't wrong, was how easy, fast, and flippin' delicious these cheese gougeres were.


Don't ask me to pronounce gougeres, because I can't. I am calling these cheesy cloud puffs of amazing airy deliciousness. So much easier than cheese gougeres, right?


I was quite intimated at first, because French pastry just sounds so so scary. I am not a baking professional, while I call myself a home cook extraordinaire I say that with as much sarcasm as I can muster, which, let's face it, is a lot of sarcasm.

While, I give off the air of kitchen prowess, more often than not it's failures, flops, and a whole lotta meh's going on in the kitchen. To have a dish, especially a baked good, turn out so right and so effortlessly was flippin' awesome.

You should try too. Like right now! Go!


Cheesy Cloud Puffs of Amazing Airy Deliciousness
Makes 20 

3 oz Cheese, finely grated (use a good quality cheese like aged cheddar or smoked gouda)
1/2 cup Whole milk
1/2 tsp Salt
Pinch of Cayenne
1/4 tsp Pepper
6 tbsp Butter
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp Flour
2 Eggs

1. Preheat your oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Get all of your ingredients ready.
2. In a small bowl mix the flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne together, then set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan heat the butter and whole milk to a rolling boil. Do not let it boil for to long, because then it will evaporate. Once the butter milk mixture is boiling, add all the dry ingredients, and mix with a wooden spoon. Add the cheese and allow the cheese to melt.
4. Transfer into a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment in place. Allow the mixture to cool slightly, let it sit for about 3-4 minutes. Then begin to add the eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to fully incorporate before adding the next.
5. Using a pastry bag or 2 spoons make golf ball sized balls of dough. Top with a little cheese and place in oven for 20 minutes or until the puffs are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.


Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment