Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Just a little more summer

There's only a few more weeks of heirloom tomatoes, fresh corn, and other produce-delights left. What's a girl to do?

Make a flatbread with corn, tomatoes, and goat cheese. Duh.


I've gotta get at least one more summer produce kick in before it's all apples, pumpkin, and butternut squash. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally ready for it. Actually I'm completely antsy for it, but since Mother Nature is like, not listening to me, and it's 90 million degrees out with humidity so thick you swim, not walk, to the nearest exit, this tomato-corn flatbread is just going to have to do.

 
It's so hot that I can barely stand hot yoga these days. Who wants to go sit in a 100 degree room and sweat their brains out while paying to do it? I can just as easily sit on my porch and accomplish that. And not bend myself into weird pretzel-like positions. Remind me why I do yoga again?

Ugh, that was really whiny of me. Sorry. It's been a long summer.


The good news is that this flatbread can be made a hundred different ways with a hundred different veggies, cheeses, and herbs. Go crazy.

The flatbread also would make a killer appetizer any time of the year or a lovely dinner paired with a salad, which is how I enjoyed it. Along with some crispy chicken, which wasn't as crispy as I was hoping for. I wanted a crunchy-lemony-thin chicken creation, but sadly, I was out of eggs and the panko didn't stick as well as it should have. Don't you hate when that happens? Running out of a necessary ingredient is seriously, one of the worst things ever.


Happily, this part of dinner turned out great! You should make it. Right now. Or an hour from now. Or maybe tomorrow?

Tomato Corn Flatbread
Serves 6

2-3 Heirloom tomatoes (You can use whatever tomatoes you have or like, I simply liked the way these looked)
1 ear of Corn, shucked and cut off the cob
3 oz Goat cheese, room temperature
1/2 round of Pizza dough (You can make your own or be like me and pick up a round of dough at your favorite place)
Bacon grease
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
Garlic powder
Parmesan cheese

1. Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface till very thin, thinner than a normal pizza crust. Place on whatever sheet you use to cook pizza on. Drizzle with olive oil, paying attention to the edges.
2. In a microwave-proof bowl heat the goat cheese up for about 30 seconds, just to make it more spreadable. Spread goat cheese evenly in a thin layer on the dough.
3. Cook up a few slices of bacon and keep the bacon grease. Save the bacon slices for a BLT or simply eat right then and there. Cook the corn for 3-4 minutes in the bacon grease with a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread an even layer of corn on the dough.
4. Thinly slice the tomatoes and layer on the dough on top of the corn and cheese. The tomatoes can overlap a little. Sprinkle the entire flatbread with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Sprinkle a light dusting of paresman cheese on top.
5. Bake the flatbread on 400F for 10-15 minutes, until the edges are crispy and the tomatoes are cooked through.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment