Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012


Oh. My. Word.
I scare myself sometimes. With my genius (bahhhhhh!!). With the ideas for food that somehow run away in my brain. The minute, nano-second I saw this I knew immediately what I needed to do with it.  
Do you like dulce de leche? I do. A lot. It has the consistency and color of caramel. It’s similar in flavor to caramel, but somehow sweeter and richer and …just...more amazing. It has become very popular recently, turning up in everything from cupcakes to coffee to cookies.


Dulce de leche originally was created by the Portuguese and is used throughout South American cuisine. It can be found in cakes, cookies, ice cream, coffee, or used to flavor the ever-popular Latin desert, flan. Flan totally grosses me out. Something about the jiggle it does is just not right.
Dulce de leche is made by simmering milk and sugar together until the milk has reduced and the sugar has caramelized, which takes hours of cooking. There is a short cut, don't you worry! It can also be made from sweetened condensed milk by people who do not want to stand over a hot stove in 80F weather stiring milk and sugar to perfection. Oh, do you call that laziness? Yeah, me too, but it's so much easier.
While browsing Pinterest the other day I came across a way to make it at home. I know, I got really excited too. It’s ok. Hang on, I'll tell you, I won't leave you in suspense.
This is what you do:
Dulce de Leche  

1.     Take a can of sweetened condensed milk. Dear god, why is this stuff soo goooooood?

2.     Take the label off the can and place in a pot of water. The water should cover the can, or at least almost cover it. Better to start covered because you will have to add water during the cooking process.

3.      Turn the stove on medium-high. Bring water to a simmer and leave it there for 3-4 hours simmering. Check occasionally and add water as needed.

4.      Once finished remove can from the water and let cool. Then open. Die a little bit inside from happiness when you see the magic that has happened in the can.

5.     Now have your way with it!
6.   Scoop out into a container and stir well to smooth out any lumps that formed during cooking. This is good in the fridge for a while, if it makes past a day in your house. I can’t imagine that it will though.


I do admit some hesitance to eat something that has been cooked for a lengthy period of time in an aluminum tin can, but frankly, I got over that minute I put some of this gloriously unctuous creation in my mouth!

What else can you do with dulce de leche? Do I have an idea for you!

Are you ready?
Take your favorite brownie mix and make according to the directions.



 In a greased pan scoop half the brownie mixture in and smooth out. Layer half the dulce de leche on top and swirl slightly with a knife. Layer the remaining brownie mixture and dulce de leche. Swirl some more.



 If you care too, and frankly you should!, sprinkle the top with bittersweet chocolate chips and a good sprinkle of coarse sea salt. Now bake this glorious concoction according to the brownie mix directions. You may find that it will take a little longer than they state, blame the dulce de leche, but then forgive it because it’s just so flippin’good!     




Does this make Terrible Tuesday a little better? Oh, I think so!

1 comment:

  1. Probably the best brownies I've ever had! I need more stat!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete