Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Everest

One of the main reasons I wanted to do this trip was to see the mythical Everest, standing at an impressive 27,000 feet. The drive to get there though I could have done without. It was a long drive that for 4-5 hours was incredibly bumpy, like it was hard to read because you were shaking so much, kind of bumpy. We got there a little later then I had hope for, at around 530 in the afternoon. I quickly threw my daypack in the tent and hopped on the bus to base camp, not wanting to waste anymore time.
The mountain did not disappoint. It was beautiful and snow capped. There are 7 base camps, but tourists are only allowed to the first one, which is at 17,000 feet. There is a little hill with, you guessed it, prayer flags! I hung prayer flags and enjoyed looking at the mountain, despite the fridges temps.
Since I took the bus to camp I decided to walk back, which ended up being one of my favorite things I did in Tibet. The sunset over Everest was simply breathtaking. The pictures don't even come close to capturing the colors and beauty the mountain possesses when bathed in pinks and oranges. It was so still at the mountain, even the wind was quiet.
Spent the night at tent city just outside of base camp. Despite the cold temps we were cozy in our tents with about 10 blankets piled on top of each of us. The following morning dawned even colder, making me very glad we did the walk to base camp the night before. The altitude was very noticeable in the morning, my entire tent woke up with headaches. After breakfast we took a quick tour around the highest monastery in the world and then happily jumped back on the warmer bus for the long drive to the Nepal border. 

No comments:

Post a Comment