Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Operation Fish Taco's

I am trying to incorporate more fish into my diet. This is not easy for me, because I don't really like a lot of fish. It's all like fishy and stuff. Plus, it's kinda scary to try something so foreign in your own kitchen sometimes. I really had to give myself a good pep talk about the whole thing.

Do you ever give yourself pep talks? Please tell me you do, because it would make me feel so much better about myself. Because I do give myself pep talks. Like all the time. What? I need a lot of encouragement.


Here's how the pep talk went for fishy-fishing fish making:
Self: We need to eat more fish.
Me. Okkkkkk. I guess. But like, Self, fish is kinda pricey and what if we don't like it? Or worse! We mess it up and it all goes wrong, because you know that happens sometimes when we cook!
Self: Look Me, we're are gonna do this. It'll be fine, I promise. In fact, it'll be better than fine!
Me: Well, if you say so Self.


Self and Me are proud to report that the fish taco's were a success!!!!! Easy and tasty and not fishy in the slightest! Booyah baby!!


Not to mention I got to add some booze into my meal, which is always always an added bonus!! I feel like all meals should somehow incoporate alcohol into them. It makes eveerything better and more festive and fun. And frankly, isn't that what life should be about? Festive and fun with booze! Yay fish taco's!!

Beer Battered Fish Taco's
Serves 4

For the Fish:
1lb Tilapia
1 12oz can Beer
2 cups Flour
1tsp Salt
Canola or vegetable Oil

1. In a dutch oven or deep pan pour in canola or vegetable oil, a minimum of 1" of oil. Heat on medium until 375F.
2. While the oil is heating up cut the tilapia into 1" strips. Season the fish on both sides with salt, pepper, and garlic.
3. In a bowl mix the beer, flour, and salt. Dip each piece of fish into the batter, coating well, yet still allowing the excess batter to drip off.
4. Once oil is hot cook the fish in batches. If you crowd the pan too much the fish will not get crispy. Cook for 4-5 minutes on the first side until golden brown, then flip. Cook for another 3-4 minutes on the other side. Remove from oil onto paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt.

Avocado Creme
2 Avocado's
2/3 cup Greek yogurt
1 Lime, juiced
1/2 tsp Garlic powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper

1. In a food processor add all the ingredients. Blend until the mixture is very smooth.
2. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
3. If making this before serving, scoop into a bowl with the avocado pits, and cover. By keeping the pits in the creme it will prevent it from browning.

Spicy Coleslaw
2 1/2 cup Shredded cabbage, white or red
1 cup Shredded carrots
3-4 Green onions, sliced
1 Lime, zested and juiced
2 tsp Apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
3/4 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup Mayonnaise
1 tsp Sriracha

1. In a bowl combine the greek yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, pepper, lime zest and juice, and sriracha. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added more salt, pepper, and a touch more sriracha.
2. Add the cabbage, carrots, and green onions. Mix very well. Cover bowl and place in fridge until ready to serve. It is best if the coleslaw is made several hours before serving, this allows the flavors to meld more.

To assemble taco's:
1. Take a warm corn or flour tortilla.
2. Slather on some avocado creme.
3. Pile on the coleslaw.
4. Top with one or two fish sticks.
5. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment