Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Let's get messy!

I'm warning you fair and square: this recipe is mu-esssy. There's no way around it and no fighting it. In fact, I encourage you the embrace the mess. It's a good excuse to give the kitchen a much needed wipe down after the flour's been flying. Not that I'm saying your kitchen needs a good wipe down, its just that mine, usually, can use a good scrubbing.


What could we possibly be making that would induce such a mess? Have you ever had The Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls? Holy-sweet-mother-of-all-that's-good! These, I promise will be the best cinnamon rolls you've ever had in your whole entire life. Cinnabun cannot compare. Your Aunt Mildred's recipe ain't touching this! It is hands down, The Best. End of discussion. Thank you for understanding.


I only make these around the holidays usually because they are such a mess and it takes a bit of time with the proofing involved. Oh and another warning: Please, don't make these in the summer. No good will come of it. The dough will be allllllll over the place and stick to everything even more than it usually does and you'll end up wanting to cry into the buttery cinnamon sugar filling, which won't be good. The cinnamon rolls don't need your tears, so, please, just save these for the cold months, you'll thank me later!
 
 

This recipe can double as two different recipes too. Which is kinda flippin' great when you think about it! I mean, how many recipes can you get dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls from? All I can say is thank you Pioneer Woman. Thank you. My skinny jeans don't thank you, but the rest of me does!

 
 
Thankfully this recipe does just fine being made in advance. So in all your spare time this month, har har har, you can easily whip these babies up and store them for later cinnamon roll cravings. These cravings can hit you at anytime, so I urge you to be prepared and keep them stored in the freezer!


Next warning, (Man, I am full of warnings today!): this makes a ton and I do mean A TON of cinnamon rolls. Like more than even I could ever hope of consuming. Either plan on freezing a lot or giving some away as a very happy and unexpected gift. I usually half the recipe or make half as cinnamon rolls and half as dinner rolls.

 
 
Cinnamon Rolls and Dinner Rolls
Serves A lot!!!!

Yeast Dough:
1 Quart Milk
1c Vegetable Oil
1c Sugar
4 1/2tsp Yeast, active dry
9c Flour
1tsp Baking soda, scant
1tsp Baking powder, heaping
1tbsp Salt

Cinnamon Filling:
1c Melted butter
1c Sugar
3 tsp Cinnamon

Cinnamon Roll Frosting:
1 8oz block Cream cheese, room temperature
1/2c Melted butter
1/3c Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla or maple extract

1. In a large stock pot add the milk, vegetable oil, and sugar. Cook on medium until scalding (just below boiling). Set aside to cool. I cool this on the back porch for 30 minutes. If you add the yeast too soon, the yeast will die. And that would be sad.
2. Once the milk-mixture had cooled sufficiently, add the yeast and let sit for a couple of minutes. Then add 8 cups of the 9 of flour. Cover pot with a kitchen towel and sit somewhere warm for 45-60 minutes.
3. Add the baking soda, powder, salt, and remaining cup of flour. Use immediately or store in the fridge for 1-2 days.

If you are making Dinner Rolls:
1. Roll out the dough to about 1/2" thick. Cut using whatever shape and size you like, I used a 2" cookie cutter, but really go crazy and use whatever you like! Once cut, cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for another 20 minutes before baking.
2. Preheat the oven to 350F. Top rolls with whatever you like. I did salt and garlic here in the picture, but on Thanksgiving I did a rosemary-garlic-salt-butter that was to die for!
3. I froze my rolls ahead of time. I placed the cut, but uncooked rolls on a baking sheet covered with plastic in the freeze, until I was ready for them. Took them out the morning of Thanksgiving and they were ready to bake when I had free oven space. There were none left after dinner. Sadness. I really wanted one later with turkey and cranberry sauce before bed.


If you are making Cinnamon Rolls:
1. Fold in the final flour and dry ingredients. Roll the dough out thin. Use plenty of flour to do so, this is messy! It should be in a rectangle shape when you are done. Cover it with melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon. If you think you have enough, clearly you don't, add more butter, sugar, and cinnamon.
2. Starting at the top of the dough roll it towards you, as tightly as possible. Butter, sugar, and cinnamon will ooze out everywhere. Again, this is messy! Once the dough is rolled, pinch the seem together. Cut into 1/2-3/4" slices and place into well-butter pie dishes. I recommend using pie dishes, as I have found they seem to work the best. With square dishes the edges get browner than the middle. Cover the filled pie dishes with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for 20 minutes before baking.
3. Bake in a 350F for 15 minutes, uncovered, or until golden brown.
4. Top with frosting when the rolls are done baking.
5. I freeze my rolls usually once they are in the pie dish, uncooked. I remove them from the freezer the night before, cover with a kitchen towel, and they are ready to go in the morning. Whoever is up first sticks them in the oven!
6. The frosting is as simple as can be. In a medium bowl mix cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Top with as much frosting as you like!


Enjoy!

 

1 comment: